Clear Channel Cuts Announced, 1850 People Out Of Work

Mike Ward mward@iname.com
Tue Jan 20 22:37:10 EST 2009

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> I will be curious on what the print edition says tomorrow. O'Dell was
> the heart and soul of WNUA. Ramsey Lewis is now supposed to be offered
> nationally because of name value.
>
> In Detroit they eliminated local sports talk and have gone to Fox
> Sports 24 hours...

Sad story, there.  WDFN, originally "The Fan", has been sports talk for
years.  Very successful.

But looking at the latest ratings, it looks like CBS' WXYT "The Ticket",
now on 97.1 FM (the old talk WKRK), wiped them off the map...and CC
threw in the Sports Towel.

Reports are that the company's Cleveland cluster lost 46 workers today.
46.  The vast majority appear to be sales/promotions, but veteran
reporter Greg Saber is one of those cut from WTAM/1100.

I just found out that at least three people (programming wise) are now
gone at my old home of KFBK/Sacramento - news director Drew Sandsor, who
I just saw in October, the afternoon drive producer and nighttime host
Bruce Maiman.

Drew was managing editor when I was at 'BK, then left for other jobs in
San Francisco, and came back to Ethan Way a couple of years ago as ND.

I'm still in shock.