analog shutdown maybe delayed

Alexander Svirsky as@shawsheen.com
Sun Jan 11 14:45:18 EST 2009

When I dumped my 25" CRT for a 32" LCD my electric bill dropped by
about 30 kWh or about $4 per month.  I suspect that my TV viewing time
has gone up with the novelty of watching HD, yet my bills are lower
compared with last year.  I cook with gas and heat is central, so the
electric bill reflects lighting, fridge, laptop, radio hobby and TV
watching.

The old TV, a 25" CRT claimed 100W power consumption, and the DTV
converter claimed 8W.

The new TV, a 32" LCD claims 135W.  On paper the CRT looks slightly
better.  Practice shows me that the CRT generated substantial waste
heat that the LCD doesn't, and I'm using less electricity according to
National Grid.

Maybe the 100W claim by the 25" TV specs is lower than reality because
it would have to be on 10 hours per day just to get to 30 kWh/month.

I don't see CRTs in the stores anymore, and that's a good thing on
many levels, including haz-mat disposal.  Maybe time will show a drop
in evening electricity consumption nationally.

--
Alexander Svirsky
http://shawsheen.com/