Subject: Re: demise of WHDH (AM)

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 5 15:54:19 EST 2009

On 5 Jan 2009 Mark Laurence wrote:

> The Herald Traveler and Record American; and Record American and
> Herald Traveler continued that publication schedule but not for  long.
>  The switching of the masthead names ended along with the  evening
> edition, then it became the Herald American as the paper got  a badly
> needed facelift.  Whoever had thought it was a good idea to  replace
> the region's largest daily circulation paper with the design  of the
> city's smallest paper, was not thinking too clearly.

I never heard anything a the time about a Record American Herald
Traveler.  The names were always the other way around.  Some people
abbreviated it by calling it the Herald Record.  The joke was calling
it the Herald Traveler Record American Times Examiner Item.

As I recall, it became the Herald American some time before it
returned to the tabloid format.  I also think the Sunday paper may
have gone to the tabloid format before the daily paper (although for
many years the Sunday Advertiser was a broadsheet).

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700            Fax: 617.507.7856