Nightcap

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 4 16:23:56 EST 2009

> King used to boast--and perhaps still does--that he NEVER read an
> author's book before interviewing him/her on the air.
>
> Anyhow, King was completely oblivious to this bizarre history when he
> did the on-air interview and, because he had never read the book whose
> author he was interviewing, he was completely blindsided. I thought he
> made a total ass of himself on national network radio.

The problem with "I never read the book" is that it celebrates ignorance.

Reading the book (or simply skimmingit) is part of prep for an interview.

I think he could get away with that claim (that it makes him approach the
author like a listener who had not read the book), but it's quite clear that
Larry does not do much (if any) prep for his interviews.  He would rather
schmooze with the stars....and has become king of the softball interview.