demise of WHDH (AM) was: Nightcap

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Sun Jan 4 10:29:43 EST 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:03 AM, Scott Fybush wrote:

> It's hard to imagine that Boston would have ended up as the lone
> market in the country to support two full-market broadsheets into
> the 21st century. (I guess DC sort of fits the bill, but only
> because the Moonies are keeping the WashTimes afloat despite
> massive losses.)

A few others, but not many.  Pittsburgh's Tribune-Review is a second
broadsheet supported by suburban papers and Richard Mellon Scaife,
who might be that city's version of the Moonies.  The rest are all
propped up by JOA's: Seattle, Salt Lake, Tucson, Fort Wayne IN,
Charleston WV, York PA, and Detroit, where they'll still be
publishing daily despite the home delivery cutbacks.

> The Globe was still strong enough at that point that it probably
> could have done what many of those other surviving papers did and
> bought out the competition to close it down.

I wonder why the Globe has never shown interest in buying out the
Herald or forming a JOA?  This is probably the single biggest reason
why Boston still has pure newspaper competition.