demise of WHDH (AM) was: Nightcap

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Jan 4 09:36:05 EST 2009

Scott

Detroit and Seattle still have two broadsheets slugging it out as we enter 2009.

The Hearst paper in Boston was the tabloid Record-American and they
almost certainly would have folded if the HT has kept 5.

Bill

Bob Healey of the Globe told me years ago that old man Joe Kennedy
despised Beanie Choate and helped the Globe in digging up dirt about
channel 5.

It is also possible that once the TV license was secured the HT could
have cashed out and 2 buyers come to mind, Tribune or Gannett.
I suspect in any case the HT would have become a tabloid (assuming
Hearst did fold the Record) and Rupert would have come calling at some
point.