Nightcap

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Jan 3 23:31:19 EST 2009

<<On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 22:22:17 -0600, "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net> said:

> King was very upfront about his policy. He wanted authors to explain
> why he or his listeners should buy the book. Granted it was a lazy
> approach but it usually went well.

That's a pretty reasonable way to do it.  An author's job on tour is
to sell the book, and if they can't express what it's about in a way
that makes people want to buy it, their publisher shouldn't have put
them up to it.  King certainly never claimed -- to my knowledge anyway
-- to be a literary critic.  The standard for giving someone a free
opportunity to plug their product are and should be rather different
from the standards for what purports to be serious commentary.

-GAWollman