WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 13:37:40 EST 2009

> It's just a matter of time before "Internet radio" becomes prevalent in
> automobiles. Maybe this will be the year?

While this is probably what we are heading for...it's a lonnnnng way off.

The public does not care or think enough about radio to be thinking about
internet radios.

The public has shown they are not thrilled about paying a fee for another
thing that used to be free.

The public will not put up with it if is not reliable.  And given the amount
of dropped calls we all experience on our cell phones, it will be a long
time before there is a consistant signal over a market that you can pick up
almost anywhere.

> Internet radio would seemingly be competition that is unregulated and
> unstoppable for the terrestrial (and satellite) radio industry.

The content may be unregulated, but the wi-fi/wi-max signals definitely are.
I remember when I thought cable TV was a private business not using the
public spectrum, so the FCC wouldn't have any jurisdiction.  SOmehow the FCC
weasels it way into evberything.

And with the current restrictions on music royalties, there are many
stations that might not be able to afford top play music, unless you have a
reasonable business plan.