WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 00:04:34 EST 2009

Obviously the landscape has changed.

We have no idea how many people used to listen to you Dick at WBZ but
it may have been one or two million (maybe more). Charlie Greer at
WABC the same thing. A decade later Glick had a huge following again
estimated to be in the millions. Those days are long gone.

It is said that at one time in the mid 60's Bruce Bradley on BZ was
#1....in BALTIMORE.

AM was it, our only option. How else can one explain just saying to
anyone over 45 in Boston WO9-8989 and they will nod and say Ken Mayer.
Early Monday morning it was him and Norm Nathan at WHDH...nothing
else.

I try to explain to young people today that in the early to mid 70's
we were lucky to have Channel 5 and George Fennell 5 nights a week. I
used to love the Yesterday's Newsreel they had. Last I heard George
was working as a bank teller.

If this list had existed in my college days there would have been
fierce debate over the future of FM over AM. Now I wonder if AM wil
even exist a decade from now.

I think the biggest problem today is the lack of creativity on media.
When there were only 3-4 TV stations and a handful of AM signals you
HAD to be good. That is becoming less of a factor today.