WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Jan 2 19:47:55 EST 2009

<<On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:30:54 -0600, "Kevin Vahey" <kvahey@comcast.net> said:

> I didn't say CBS doesn't have massive debt but WBZ itself should be
> minimal. They have been in the same building since 1948, transmitter
> location was bought around 1940 etc.

WBZ doesn't exist as a legal personality.  It isn't in any way
separate from CBS; the debts of the company are the debts of WBZ and
vice versa.

I don't think their sales staff is hungry enough yet.  They seem to be
just coasting along on what few continuing local sponsors they have
(mostly car dealers) and national agency buys.  I don't think if Mel
were still in charge that he'd let them get away with that.  Of
course, if the ratings go in the tank as a result of lack of
investment in the talent, it will be all that much tougher to find
anyone -- local or agency -- who wants to buy the time.

Have I mentioned yet that 'BZ's news anchors make lousy sports
reporters?

-GAWollman