WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Jan 2 01:16:14 EST 2009

On 1 Jan 2009 at 13:58, Bob Nelson wrote:

> >>No way in h*ll CBS would put Stair on WBZ.
>
> You'd be more likely to hear THIS:
>
> (just after midnight)
> "WBZ now leaves the air. WBZ is owned by CBS Radio and broadcasts on a
> frequency of 1030 kiloHertz as authorized by the Federal
> Communications Commission..."
>
> (Switch off station. sssssssssss!)

That's not all that unreasonable.  Many FM stations back in the early
days used to sign off at midnight or 1 AM.  And that included a
number of FM simulcasts of AM stations that were on 4 hours.  In
fact, I remember when many FM stations used to sign on in the late
afternoon.  In the early 1960s, when I had an FM radio, WEEI-FM used
to sign on at 2 PM and then simulcast the AM until midnight.

I also remember when WXHR went from signing on at 4:30 PM to signing
on at 7 AM.  I once called the station and asked why they had been
signing on at 4:30, and they said it was because of the (late 50s)
recession.

I was up around 2 AM sometime in early 1960 to watch a lunar eclipse
(it wasn't a school night) and turned on my FM radio.  There were
only two stations operating at all in the entire FM band:  WCOP-FM
and WHDH-FM, both simulcasting their AM sister stations.  Other AM-FM
simulcast operations that I could usually hear in the daytime (WEEI,
WNAC/WRKO-FM, WLLH, WKBR, WCRB) were all off the air.  (WBZ-FM wasn't
a simulcast most of the time.  They played classical music without
interruption except for legal IDs from noon to midnight, and
simulcast the AM from 6 or 7 AM to noon)