WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Thu Jan 1 16:53:27 EST 2009

On Thu, 1/1/09, Dan Billings <billings@suscom-maine.net> wrote:
> I agree that the cuts don't help the products, but the
> drops in revenue for both are huge.

Agreed, which is why both industries really need to concentrate on a new revenue model. I'd really like to see some form of Internet revenue model based on retrans consent/must-carry -- an ISP pays 1 cent per subscriber, let's say, for customers' ability to access New York Times Co.'s Web sites. I'm sure many Web sites (such as MySpace, or bloggers) would prefer to declare as must-carry.

Yeah, such a scenario means the cost gets passed onto the consumer, but it's better that than the alternative, which is a severe reduction in mass media, from which no one benefits. I don't know if anyone has the fortitude to get the ball rolling on this.