WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Jan 1 13:05:13 EST 2009

Blaine Thompson wrote:

> 1. WBZ could simulcast the audio of CNN Headline News.

Even back in the days when there was a "CNN Headline News" that did news
24/7 (it now goes simply by "HLN" and is more talk than news), that sort
of cheap-ass solution was pretty much reserved for kilowatt graveyarders
- but then, that's what my alma mater seems to be turning itself into.

(Yes, I'm angry.)

> 2. Doesn't the BBC have an all-news format for the USA?  Perhaps that is
> only available for noncomms, though.

Correct - no space in that feed for commercials, and it's distributed
nationally by Public Radio International. (And it's already claimed in
Boston, by WBUR.)

My understanding, though the details are still fuzzy, is that CBS is
launching some sort of quasi-national overnight show that will come out
of KMOX and be heard on BZ, KDKA, WCCO and KMOX, at least initially.

That's better than picking up Art Bell or "Stair-Master," I
suppose...but this still cheapens what was once a quality product, and
I'm increasingly glad I got out when I did. I can't imagine I'd be
having a very good time at 1170 Soldiers Field Road these days, assuming
I still had a job there, which seems increasingly unlikely, considering.