Chad Finn of The Boston Globe's take on local sports-radio competition

John Francini francini@mac.com
Sat Feb 28 08:56:40 EST 2009

I think this is *yet more* of the Boston Globe trying to be the self-
appointed Arbiter of All Things Media, when they can't even keep their
own circulation going.

I'm sick and tired of the whining.  (That is, the whining of the self-
appointed Media Blog authors and the self-appointed "guardians of
radio quality").

I've listened to the alternatives available to me in the Nashua area
-- Fox Sports Radio (on 900 WGHM) and ESPN 1400 -- and find them
middling at best, with signal that disappears into hash readily, even
on GE Superadios.

To be somewhat balanced, this doesn't mean that WEEI is without flaws.

o Dennis & Callahan are pretty good when they stick to sports.
Anything else causes me to tune in Dan Patrick or Mike and Mike.

o Mike Adams is highly variable his own; he needs other co-hosts to
keep him from floating out to left field.  (On the other hand, his
predecessor Ted Serandis was far too earnest for my liking.)

-------

When I turn on the radio, I *want* a distraction, I *want* to hear
levity and humor and good "pals at a bar" type sports-talk. The Real
World(tm) has far too much CRAP happening in it; sports talk -- in
particular, the WEEI brand of sports talk -- has been an oasis, a fun
place to go to unwind in the candy store that is sports.  I *really*
wish self-appointed Arbiters Of What Is Right would stop trying to
make WEEI into a duplicate of NPR.

John