Michael Savage vs The Fairness Doctrine

dlh@donnahalper.com dlh@donnahalper.com
Wed Feb 25 13:15:34 EST 2009

>Bill asked:  "And, in
>fairness, do we ever describe liberals as "extreme left" or "extreme
>progressives"?"

Absolutely.  I see "extreme left" often in the mainstream media and not just in right wing magazines.  As with the right, there are all shades of political ideology.  John McCain on the right is not the same as Rush Limbaugh. Arlen Specter is considered a moderate in the Republican Party whereas Jim Bunning and John Cornyn are considered extreme right. Similarly, Dennis Kucinich and Amy Goodman are often referred to as "extreme left" in their views, whereas there are other Democrats and progressives who are considered more centrist and moderate on the political spectrum-- Senator Tom Harkin or progressive talker Ed Schultz are two examples-- leftie on some things, very very leftie on others, centrist or even leaning right on a few.  (Ed is very much pro-life, for example, a position usually associated with conservatives.)  (I haven't heard "very progressive" much-- but 'very left-wing' and 'very right-wing" absolutely are used in the media.