The sob stories have begun

SteveOrdinetz hykker@wildblue.net
Wed Feb 18 19:11:11 EST 2009

Dan.Strassberg wrote:

>I assume that your folks have an outdoor antenna. Am I right? The new
>outdoor antenna that you get for them should be mounted at least 30'
>above ground (even higher is better, if you can do it conveniently).
>If your folks are concerned with reception of only one terrestrial
>station, they should not need to mount the antenna on a rotator, but
>since the most popular UHF antennas are directional, the antenna needs
>to be carefully oriented for the best signal strength.

Alas, aiming can be a bit of a pain.  Digital is much less forgiving
of "close enough" aiming than is analog.  I don't know about other
boxes, but I have the Zenith DTT-900 and it doesn't give you a signal
strength reading unless it's found a signal of sufficient
strength.  Of course, if  you can't lock on the signal, you can't use
the reading to aim the antenna.