WBZ 1030 on 103.3 HD2

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Feb 13 18:56:04 EST 2009

Paul B. Walker, Jr. wrote:
> The limit for good reception all depends on the power level of the
> station....

In my experience, the limit actually depends much more on what is, or
isn't, on the adjacent channels. (Which makes sense, considering that's
where the HD data is actually traveling.)

I can pull in HD from class B WWHT 107.9 Syracuse, at about 70 miles,
with my rooftop antenna and Sony XDR-F1HD tuner...but can't get a lick
of HD from superpower B (100 kW) WYYY 94.5 Syracuse, less than a mile
from WWHT. Why? Because while there's nothing in the way of WWHT's upper
sideband (and the Yagi gets a reasonable null on WLKK 107.7, 45 miles in
the other direction), WYYY's HD sidebands are smothered on both sides -
on the low end by the HD of local WZNE 94.1, less than a mile from me,
and on the high end by translator W234AZ 94.7, also less than a mile away.

This is especially true in the northeast, where just about everything is
shortspaced these days.