WXKS (AM) 1430 no longer simulcasting WKOX

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Feb 13 12:25:18 EST 2009

As of today, Friday 2/13, a few minutes before noon, WXKS (AM) was
programming separately from WKOX (AM) 1200. WKOX is still broadcasting
en Espanol and I assume the format is still Rumba. WXKS is
broadcasting in English. It is a music format called Automatic Radio
1430 (someone will have to tell me what genre of Rock it is; I'm no
good at IDing Rock genres). As far as I'm able to tell, WKOX is still
not running 50 kW. Compared with last September when WKOX et al began
transmitting from Newton, when I tune to 1200, I can observe no
increase in the small number of bars that appear on the CC Radio's
signal-strength display. I'm expecting full power soon, though,
because yesterday, the FCC accepted for filing applications from WKOX
and WRCA for licenses to cover their upgraded facilities. My theory
about WUNR is that its case is hung up in FCC red tape because its
consulting engineers apparently failed to file for an extension of the
station's CP before it expired last November. The consultants must
have thought that no extension was necessary because last August the
FCC had granted WUNR an STA to operate with its new antenna system but
with its old 5 kW-U power until the end of this month.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367