Sirius XM Radio Bankruptcy?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Feb 11 14:38:28 EST 2009

>>I'm already noticing they (Sirius) are enticing subscribers to extend
their membership early, by Mid march, and then, whenever your
subscription expires, 32k web audio and its free access to will go away
and you'll have to pay 3 bucks a month for the 128k stream. They also
introduced a la carte and packages, e.g., news/talk, family, sports.<<

It's not just additional charges for streaming.  They will also be raising the price of permissioning additional radios (the so-called family plan) from $6.99/month each to $8.99.

>>I have to wonder if they can sustain two incompatible platforms and why
should they?<<

Because of the customer investment in radios, all of which on whatever platform they don't keep would have to be replaced.  With prices going up, that could be a point at which many subscribers say "enough!" and cancel.  Many of those radios are built into new cars and aren't easily replaceable.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040