Sirius XM Radio Bankruptcy?

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Wed Feb 11 10:03:34 EST 2009

Has anyone else been watching the financial news regarding Sirius XM
preparing a bankruptcy filing?  One of the more galling parts that I find is
that one of the articles reported that Echostar wanted to buy them out but
Uncle Mel would not relinquish control of the reins effectively killing the
deal.

I'm don't have an MBA so can someone explain to me how a failing company
(Sirius) can merge with a more healthy company (XM), become the dominant
partner and then impose the same failing business practices that was tanking
them on the healthier one?  As the company continues to tank the stock
holders do allow this misguided CEO to continue and do nothing?  Is everyone
asleep there?  Is Mel a shill for the terrestrial broadcasters?

Given the fact that XM Weather is now used by all of the major airlines as
well as general aviation, will the government allow them to tank?  Will the
government bail them out or will they spin off?  Are we looking at another
Iridium deal here?

Brian