DTV delay passes

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Feb 4 18:48:59 EST 2009

>>I wonder, on February 18, what percentage of the "they told me I
wouldn't have to worry about getting a converter box until June"
people will find themselves without usable TVs (or with TVs that can't
receive the stations they want to watch over the air). IOW, Congress
enacted this legislation to mollify a lot of potentially angry
viewers. Now, I suspect we'll discover that, although there may be
fewer angry viewers than there might have been had Congress done
nothing, there will still be more than enough angry people to keep the
talk shows busy. OTOH, maybe the Whitehouse will be happy to have
provided a distraction for the folks who want to vent their anger
about Sen Daschle et al.<<

There are still going to be people who will be unprepared for the transition, no matter how much time you give them.  Much of the information being disseminated is confusing (remember: not to us, but to the average turn-it-on-change-the-channel-adjust-the-volume TV user), and to introduce still more confusion with less than two weeks to go is just stupid.  But then, politicians aren't generally known for populating the highest percentiles of intelligent life anyhow.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040