Anything We Can Do for Classical Music Radio in Boston?

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Dec 31 00:49:50 EST 2009

On 28 Dec 2009 at 18:42, Romy wrote:

> . Friday afternoon broadcasts of the Boston Symphony Orchestra are
> cancelled. . In Boston's Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and areas south of
> Boston, listeners are unable to receive a clear signal from
> "all-classical" WCRB.

I understand about parts of Boston, but I don't understand about
areas south.  WCRB announces that it is also on a station on
Nantucket.  Does the Nantucket station have that bad a signal?

> Much of the music on WCRB is programed by a Minneapolis syndicate.

The question for me is how good the music is, not where it comes
from.  I particularly like the Sunday Baroque programming, and while
it's obviously not local, it's good.  The economics of classical
music programming are not favorable these days, unfortunately.

> . Area listeners have lost fifty hours a week of quality classical
> music. . Do we really need more talk radio and duplicative NPR
> programming? .Are WGBH contributors pleased with the changes? .Are
> WCRB listeners pleased? .Will the administration at WGBH
> reconsider?

I remember, during the 1970s recession, when WGBH faced protests
when, in order to save money, they dropped most of their excellent
talk programming in favor of classical music.  I guess you can't win.