top radio personalities in Boston?Talk hosts from the 70s: JerryWilliams, Paul Benzaquin,

Howard Glazer hmglaz@worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 29 14:01:25 EST 2009

Joseph A. Ross wrote:

> On 28 Dec 2009 at 13:09, Donna Halper wrote:
>
> > And as I like to point out to my students, that book shows how the
> > language has changed.  When he wrote it in the mid 1950s, the first
> > edition was called "Holocaust"-- I have a copy of it, and back then,
> > the word still referred mainly to a raging fire, rather than its later
> > meaning of what the Nazis did during World War 2.
>
> Wow!  I didn't even =know= that the word "holocaust" originally meant
> that!

The deadly fire at that Rhode Island club a few years ago would have been
called a "holocaust" in news coverage if it had happened 50 or 60 years ago.
I don't think anyone called it that when it happened or call it that today.
"Inferno" and "conflagration" seem to be the operative synonyms now.

Howard