Globe articles on WCRB, WGBH

raccoonradio@mail.com raccoonradio@mail.com
Fri Dec 18 11:51:44 EST 2009

Today's Globe has articles on the "public radio war" between WBUR and WGBH, and WCRB's new identity. Note the comments on the latter; many complaints about the WCRB signal. Had the deal not been made to switch freqs with WKLB, classical fans might be enjoying "All Classical 102.5" today.
As I noted, for many now it's "All Static 99.5"

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2009/12/18/a_new_wcrb_and_a_shrinking_classical_dial/?page=1

If Entercom would sell 97.7 or if WPLM's owners sold 99.1 to WGBH, that would help. IF.
(I'm wondering if WEEI may move to FM and displace either WAAF or "Mike", perhaps to 97.7...)'

http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2009/12/18/public_radio_war_is_on/

It's mentioned that "In the mid-1980s, former WBUR station manager Jane Christo jettisonedclassical music and converted the sleepy Boston University station toan all-news-and-talk format. Within just a few years, ’BUR owned theupscale NPR demographic..."
I do remember something like that. (btw does anyone remember if WBUR used to have a show called Firesign World on Sunday nights which featured comedy such as Firesign Theater?)

Also: as far as I know neither WGBH nor WBUR (nor WCRB) runs a syndicated show called
Weekend Radio. Originated at WCLV in Cleveland with host Robert Conrad (no, not the actor),
the show mixes comedy bits by the likes of The Goons (Peter Sellers, etc.), Flanders and
Swann, Bob Newhart, and Jean Shepherd with light classical pieces. Enjoyable; but as far as I know it has not aired in Boston. Wonder if WCRB might consider it...?