Attention all AM DX-ing fans!

John Allen john@pcsupportsolutions.com
Thu Dec 3 20:02:14 EST 2009

This anomalously good propagation is due to the current extended solar
minimum combined with a short (1 day more or less) minimum, where the solar
K index is 0 on a scale of 0 to 9, meaning that D layer daytime absorption
is very low.
Also, historically early Dec, is a time of very low absorption, whan
stations from Japan can be contacted on 1.8 Mhz.

Regards, John K1AE, ex WBOS AM/FM, WCRB AM/FM (Assistant CE)

John Allen - PC Support Solutions www.pcsupportsolutions.com
PC On Site Service and Training - Computer HW/SW/Network debugging,
installation and upgrades.
978 779-6189 M: 508 361-6229

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
Martin Waters
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 3:36 PM
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Subject: Attention all AM DX-ing fans!

 I don't now much about a science book, but there appears to be unusual
propagation today on the medium wave band:
  -- All day, at my Connecticut location, a signal has been audible behind
WINS -- never, ever happened here in the daytime in my 24 years at my
location. They were playing Jingle Bell Rock just before noon on my CC Radio
Plus.
  -- Starting around 2 p.m., there was a strong "beating" rhythm on top of
WBZ, which had sounded like it was using 50 kW. But even at 10 kW, I've
never heard that before here either, that long before sunset. Just before 3,
they were playing Neil Diamond. The audible went away right around 3, but
there's still some beating -- although less. Later on, I'm going to check
the FCC to see if any stations on 1030 have reduced critical hours power
that might have kicked in at 3.
  I already was thinking this winter might be good for DX-ing -- after I
heard KOA in the clear for several minutes a week or two ago at around 6 or
7 p.m. EST. Very rare here in the last couple decades -- very, very rare.
   However, what I heard today seems way beyond anything I'm familiar with
even during a really good late January for DX-ing.