Attention all AM DX-ing fans!

Martin Waters martinjwaters@yahoo.com
Thu Dec 3 15:36:08 EST 2009

 I don't now much about a science book, but there appears to be unusual propagation today on the medium wave band:
  -- All day, at my Connecticut location, a signal has been audible behind WINS -- never, ever happened here in the daytime in my 24 years at my location. They were playing Jingle Bell Rock just before noon on my CC Radio Plus.
  -- Starting around 2 p.m., there was a strong "beating" rhythm on top of WBZ, which had sounded like it was using 50 kW. But even at 10 kW, I've never heard that before here either, that long before sunset. Just before 3, they were playing Neil Diamond. The audible went away right around 3, but there's still some beating -- although less. Later on, I'm going to check the FCC to see if any stations on 1030 have reduced critical hours power that might have kicked in at 3.
  I already was thinking this winter might be good for DX-ing -- after I heard KOA in the clear for several minutes a week or two ago at around 6 or 7 p.m. EST. Very rare here in the last couple decades -- very, very rare.
   However, what I heard today seems way beyond anything I'm familiar with even during a really good late January for DX-ing.