WXKW Albany

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Aug 13 22:14:48 EDT 2009

I don't think WGY would have had a leg to stand on if it had sued.
There are no restrictions on contour overlap of fourth-adjacent AMs
(and AFAIK, at least since NARBA, there never have been any). That's
why the WGY-KOA connection was so important in this saga. As I pointed
out in my previous post, GE once also owned KOA, which was co-channel
with WXKW. Because of KOA's common heritage, it was easy for WGY to
secure the cooperation of the Denver station. As Class IB station
co-channel with WXKW, KOA could legitimately protest interference from
WXKW's nighttime signal to its protected 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave service,
which by the formulas the FCC then used, extended much closer to
Albany than it now does.

BTW, WXKW was 10 kW DA-1, six towers, in-line, end-fire. The complex
in-line end-fire array was a major part of the problem. Six-tower
in-lines are relatively rare even today, and modern ones are, by
design, never quite in-line. True in lines with a lot of towers are
finicky and have a tendency to have high RSS/RMS ratios, which are a
predictor of stability problems. Most six-tower arrays are 3X2
broadside designs. Reconstructing the WXKW array as a 3X2 broadside
was apparently not an option because it would have required acquiring
adjacent land. There was a plan to reconstruct the array as a 3X2
end-fire, but that probably would not have worked either; 3X2 end
fires do not null as deeply as do broadsides along the radials normal
to the pattern axis, and it was the null to the west of the northerly
main lobe that was the problem.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367