extending FM band down to 76 MHz

TVNETDUDE@aol.com TVNETDUDE@aol.com
Sun Aug 2 21:48:31 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/2/2009 12:03:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:

>>Both VHF-lo and VHF-hi have been proven in the "real world"  to be
totally sub-par for Digital Television compared to UHF, something that I
(somehow) KNEW years ago when I started writing the "UHF Morgue" exhibits
(http://radiodxer.bravehost.com).   I've always thought that  76.1-87.9 MHz would be
perfect for an extended FM band.  This would allow  better distribution for
frequencies for LPFM and the Grandfathered Class D FM  stations to migrate.
If they were to allow these stations to switch to  the new frequencies and
allow simulcasting for a period, not to exceed 10  years (or when the
expanded band radios would be more plentiful enough), then  the old frequency
would be discontinued.<<

An extended FM band is an  ideal use of this new found  bandwidth and I
support it but will consumers purchase new radios? I  haven't exactly seen IBOC
radios flying off the shelf.

This reminds me of the introduction of HDTV when you had to heat the air
with a digital signal to keep your analog license and NBC had a list of
viewers  with HDTV sets. They would e-mail them when there was a program to be
broadcast  in HDTV.

Great idea but can these stations survive a ten year, or  more, period with
little or no income? Deep pockets win!

Mike Hemeon