extending FM band down to 76 MHz

Dave Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Aug 2 17:35:05 EDT 2009

The UK is already proposing to go all digital by 2015.  Canada is
already phasing out AM.  With satellite radio and HD radio floundering
and TV already transitioned, it seems to be the perfect time to start
preparing for a move to digital broadcasting in this country.

It would be radical, but if planned right, it could be very
efficient.  Imagine all digital from 76-108, with sub-channels, and
linked repeaters so that when you travel out of one area, the radio
would tune to the next repeater so popular channels/stations could be
received seamlessly across most of the country, much like satellite
radio, but free.  This is happening already in the UK.  With all the
corporate owned stations around the US sharing playlists and
personalities across hundreds of stations already, the infrastructure
is there.  There would be a few all-local stations in each market that
would survive, but most others would link up with national services,
with the ability to insert local commercials and other content.
Traffic and weather on the threes?  No need.  There would be a digital
sub-channel in each market devoted to this info 24/7 that's easily
accessible from a new generation digital radio.  The possibilities are
endless.  It would be organized, digital, and sufficiently upgraded
for the next 50 years.

Of course, it would never happen because the special interests and the
FCC would FUBAR the crap out of such a proposal...

-Dave Tomm