extending FM band down to 76 MHz

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 10:45:57 EDT 2009

It makes sense.  Both VHF-lo and VHF-hi have been proven in the "real world" to be totally sub-par for Digital Television compared to UHF, something that I (somehow) KNEW years ago when I started writing the "UHF Morgue" exhibits (http://radiodxer.bravehost.com).   I've always thought that 76.1-87.9 MHz would be perfect for an extended FM band.  This would allow better distribution for frequencies for LPFM and the Grandfathered Class D FM stations to migrate.  If they were to allow these stations to switch to the new frequencies and allow simulcasting for a period, not to exceed 10 years (or when the expanded band radios would be more plentiful enough), then the old frequency would be discontinued.

Also, FMeXtra digital broadcasting system should be a less-expensive OPTION for these expanded band stations to commence digital service in lieu of the very expensive and less-than-dependable IBOC system.  The radios should be able to automatically switch from IBOC or FMeXtra.  There should be no timetable for an all digital radio conversion.  Analog still is the only true way to ensure emergency alerts will be available to the general public.  The digital signal is still not a dependable source for EAS or emergency information, especially during natural or man-made disasters.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
"Scanning the bands since 1967"
radiojunkie3@yahoo.com