WNEB to Spanish?

bob swenson bobswenson@usa.com
Mon Apr 27 17:24:36 EDT 2009

Bob Bryar passed away in 2008 in Tampa. Fl.  In 1955 he and his wife
Shirley bought WORC and started playing Rock N Roll.The original DJ's for
Open House were Bob and Shirely and Mell Miller. Mell left WORC in 1956
and went to WMEX. In 1985 all the original DJ's came back for 2days. I
recorded it on Reel to Reel tape. In 2008 I decided to copy the shows to
CD and sent a copy to Bob. He called me on the phone saying that the CD
brought back so many good times.  He was not in very good health at that
time. He sent me a big collection of stuff from WORC including many
aircheck from  the 50's and 60's. He also sent me originals of the WORC"
All Request Survey". One of thse sheets was from November 1963 showing
The Beatles "I'll Get You" on Swan Records at number 5. Also included was
a promo of Dick Smith PD receiving a gold record from Swan Records
indicating he was the first DJ to play a Beatles record in America. This
was 4 months before The Beatles performance on Ed Sullivan. Bob Swenson

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Mark Laurence"
  To: "Doug Drown"
  Subject: Re: WNEB to Spanish?
  Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:16:42 -0400

  On Friday, April 24, 2009, at 11:49AM, "Doug Drown"
  wrote:
  > Doesn't WORC have an all-Spanish format? If so, what do you
  > think will be the niche WNEB is seeking for its programming?
  > Doesn't seem it could compete very well against WORC's 5-kw
  > signal.
  >
  > On a somewhat unrelated topic: Does anyone know if Bob Bryar,
  > the owner of WORC during its halcyon Top 40 days, is still
  > living? -Doug

  I remember the original "Open House Party" with Bob Bryar and
  Johnny Gardner on WORC from noon til 6. "Drink as much as you want
  but it'll come from the sink!"

  I can't find any direct confirmation of this, but a 2008
  telegram.com obituary for a WORC jock from the 50's refers to "the
  late Bob Bryar."

--
It's News. It's Reviews. It's Interviews. It's Free. What Are You Waiting For?
www.movieline.com