ROAD TRIP REPORT - DTV Report from Central FLA

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Apr 25 02:25:25 EDT 2009

Does she also live in Brookline?

I may be speaking prematurely, but tonight's viewing of Channel 44 in
Arlington Heights was encouraging. Readers may remember my tale of woe
a few days ago regarding reception of 44 DT-n for the few weeks
immediately preceding the 44-analog shutdown, when 44-analog was
supposed to be at reduced power. I'm now wondering whether the
reduced-power version of 44-analog might have been bleeding onto
43--the RF channel of 44 DT--in ways that the full-power version of
44-analog did not. If so, the RF from the reduced-power 44-analog
might have been desensitizing the front end of the DTV receiver and,
on the analog TV, doing the same with the front end of the DTV
converter box. The phenomenon I am trying to describe would be quite
analogous to front-end overload on FM receivers in the Back Bay.

I will say that I am very suspcious of the information presented on
the signal-strength display of my Panasonic DTV receiver. I suspect an
appreciable lag between when the signal strength is measured and when
the signal-strength display is updated. The display can read 100% for
MANY seconds. But only AFTER the sound breaks up and the video
pixellates, will the signal-strength bar drop back from the 100% mark
and the indicated numerical value drop into the low 80s.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367