Phillies Announcer Harry Kalas Has Passed Away

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:32:46 EDT 2009

Tonight on the Red Sox radio network, Joe Castiglione mentioned that his son Duke asked Kalas to
do an answering machine outgoing message for him. "Sure," Kalas said; "do you want my baseball
voice or my football voice?" Duke Castiglione said, "Football."

So Kalas recorded a message saying, "Duke is not here right now; he's in the frozen tundra
of Lambeau Field awaiting the arrival of the Green Bay Packers..." in that famed NFL Films voice...

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, Kalas didn't get to do World Series play by play in 1980 because
the regional networks of teams were shut out in favor of national networks. But last year he was able
to call the World Series on the Phillies Radio network, and was able to call their victory, etc.
I work nights and have to use an FM re-transmitter to pick up whatever AM signals are carrying
the Series; I found I had trouble with WAMG 890/WLLH 1400, WEPN 1050 (sometimes pre-empted Series
for hockey?), or WPOP 1410; but WPHT 1210, Philly's "Big Talker" came in well, so I heard the Kalas
broadcasts of the '08 WS.