5 Other Reasons the Boston Globe Faces Closure

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Mon Apr 13 16:44:14 EDT 2009

On Monday, April 13, 2009, at 05:27PM, "A. Joseph Ross" <Joe@attorneyross.com> wrote:
>On 13 Apr 2009 Doug Drown wrote:
>
>The Record American bought the physical plant and the name,
>and perhaps some contracts for comic strips and syndicated columns.
>The Herald-Traveler Corporation changed its name to WHDH, Inc. and
>continued as operator of WHDH and WHDH-FM.  I don't know whether
>assumption of some of the Herald Traveler's debt was part of the sale
>price, but the Herald Traveler Record American was the continuation
>of the Record American.

But it was easy as a casual observer to think it was the other way around.
The merged paper looked much more like the Herald than the Record,
from its broadsheet size to the headline typeface.  I could never under-
stand why Hearst turned its tabloid, the long-time #1 circulation paper,
into the loser #3 paper after the buyout.  They must have thought they'd
really give the Globe a run for the suburban circulation and advertising,
but instead they nearly drove themselves into the ground until in
desperation they turned back into a tabloid.