5 Other Reasons the Boston Globe Faces Closure

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Apr 12 01:57:10 EDT 2009

On 11 Apr 2009 at 16:03, Doug Drown wrote:

> My understanding is that the Globe, during a large part of the
> twentieth century, had a large Democrat Irish Catholic readership, and
> the Herald represented the Republican Protestant Yankees (a tradition
> it in part inherited from the old Transcript, though it was a much
> wider constituency than the Transcript's predominantly Brahmin
> readership).  This was certainly true when I was a kid; Democrats I
> knew bought the Globe and  Republicans favored the Herald.
>
> The Hearst papers and the Post stood for working-class populism and
> were usually identified with the Democratic Party, but were actually
> independent.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.   -Doug

The big problem in your argument is that the Herald that was
traditionally the voice of the Republican Protestant Yankees went out
of business in 1972, after it lost the license for channel 5.  It
sold its name and physical plant to Hearst's  Record American, which
had been a tabloid and became a broadsheet (The "Herald Traveler
Record American") for several years.  Eventually it returned to its
tabloid roots and shortened the name to the Herald American.   That
was the paper that Rupurt Murdoch bought circa 1982 and re-named the
Herald.