ANdrew 8-8000

Bill Smith bill.smith@comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 13:05:10 EDT 2009

I thought I knew where Andrew was eating those cookies, but it turns out it
was not Albany Carpet and wasn't Able Rug, the two rug giants form Allston,
but rather Adams & Swett. The number still works!

As for using the names for exchanges, Kenny Mayer never gave up WO9-8989
(but what else would you expect from the most relaxed show in town), and
Benzaquin used DEvonshire 8-6700 on his  afternoon show long after numbers
replaced the words; the Globe continued to use AV8-1515 for Ask the Globe
for years, too.

In Philadelphia, the words stuck well into the 70s "Can we hear from you on
CAU, TEnnyson 9-6790 from the city, Mohawk 7-0500 from the suburbs and
 WOodlawn 3-5909 in New Jersey"