Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Mon Apr 6 22:02:45 EDT 2009

Hi Donna-

Why run off the subscribers?

Because paper subscribers require printing presses, which require millions
of dollars in capital expense, massive rolls of paper, which require
millions of dollars in operating expense, and a legion of troops on the
street to assemble and deliver the end product - one at a time - to
individual subscribers or - twenty at a time - to coffee shops and honor
boxes.

Paper makes no sense at all when you can distribute your product
electronically.

Tradintional subscribers require paper. Ergo, traditional subscribers make
no economical sense at all, and management should do what it can to maximize
electronic delivery and eliminate traditional paper subscribers.

-d