Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Sun Apr 5 18:33:41 EDT 2009

Look we just have so many choices now. IPods deliver the music a
person wants to hear, news and sports are available around the clock
etc.
Those of us who are over 50 have fond memories of Ken Mayer and his 2
hour radio show on WUNR/WBOS. It wasn't because Ken was a great talent
but we listened because there was nothing else on (except for Norm on
WHDH) on an early Monday morning.
Newspapers tried having people pay for content on the web and it
failed. Newspapers also made a nice profit mailing the paper to former
residents but the net killed that as well.
Radio will continue in some form as the cost of reaching the public is
fairly stable unlike papers who have to deal with printing and
delivery.
Books may well be the next thing to vanish if e-readers like the
Kindle take hold.