Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

Dan Pierce dslrpierce@myfairpoint.net
Sun Apr 5 14:37:30 EDT 2009

BINGO!!!!  The core issue to consider here is the undeniable fact that the
business model for newspapers no longer works in the new media environment.
Newspapers as we know them today really began in the early 19th Century with
the advent of the so-called "Penny Press", whereby newspapers were sold to
the average Joe for a penny (which is all that he could afford), but the
newspaper owner made money by selling advertising, thus allowing merchants
to get their products in front of many more eyeballs than was previously
possible.  That model worked for more than 150 years but, alas, works no
longer.

Kevin is quite right about the loss of revenue from classifieds (why anyone
would wish to spend the money required to run a classified rather than go
online is a mystery to me...I am astonished the newspapers still sell any at
all) and employment ads, and Donna is quite right about the significant
decline in the revenue that was once gained from the retailers and auto
dealers (now in even greater decline due to the recession).

Newspaper owners simply cannot make enough money to cover their costs,
especially if they own large, metropolitan newspapers with the resultant
high overhead due to large, unionized staffs (this is not a knock against
the unions, simply pointing out that it is easier to pare labor costs when
dealing with non-union employees, as I have seen personally more than once
in my radio career).  Some savings are being made through the consolidation
of the costs associated with the production of the physical product (paper,
ink, printing, etc.), but you cannot avoid the costs associated with your
staff, which is why companies like The New York Times Co. are trying to
extract concessions from their union (and non-union) employees.  They will
probably succeed in the short run, but those concessions will not be enough,
IMHO, to avoid the long-term consequences of an obsolete business model.

As a man who reads several newspapers every day online, and who has made a
career reading newspapers and relying on their content to do talk shows on
the radio, I wonder whether or not that content will be delivered in another
form, or will disappear altogether, and what the consequences will be for
the health of our civic society.

Dan Pierce