Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe

Doug Drown revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Sat Apr 4 12:28:55 EDT 2009

> Do young people just not care about the news or do they spend a good
> deal of time reading online?

>Yes.

Indeed.  Yes on both counts.  I have a sneaking suspicion, having been a parent, a teacher, and a clergyperson who for years dealt with kids, that most young people aren't dependent on any particular news source --- what they know is what they hear (A) from the thrice-daily five-minute (if that!) newscasts on their favorite rock station or (B) from their friends.  I hate to be cynical, but I honestly  think that a lot of them don't care what is going on in the world unless it directly affects them or it's something in pop culture in which they're interested.

They do read online.  But they don't read online newspapers, or the Huffington Post, or even the Drudge Report, for that matter.    -Doug