Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

Maureen Carney m_carney@yahoo.com
Sat Apr 4 06:29:24 EDT 2009

I don't see dollars flowing from print to broadcast that much. In this economy advertisers will probably pocket the money and keep to the budgets they already have. Also, they know that broacast is hurting and use that to get lower rates for radio and TV.

________________________________
From: Sean Smyth <ssmyth@psualum.com>
To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2009 9:43:14 PM
Subject: Somewhat OT: Times Co. threatens to shutter Boston Globe.

I know it doesn't directly relate to radio, but it does relate to media in the market: The New York Times Co. says if unions don't cooperate with concessions, The Boston Globe will shut down.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2009/04/times_co_threat.html

This may not happen, since the unions seem willing to save jobs at this point.

If it did, how do you think advertising in the radio/TV market would be affected? Would local newscasts gather from an influx of ad dollars? IMHO, no.