WHDH snubs Leno

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Fri Apr 3 19:50:14 EDT 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Aaron Read wrote:

> I think, given the penetration of cable and satellite TV...most of
> which is digital with a channel guide...that this is all mouse
> farts, and that NBC and WHDH can squabble all they want; if people
> want Leno, they'll just look for him on the channel guide.

We're getting there.  But a lot of viewers are still people who are
too comfortable (or lazy) to change the channel from the show that
was on before.  Most people know a dozen or two channels on their
cable's 150 channel lineup.  What percentage of Leno's audience are
big enough fans of the show to hunt it down on a channel they may
never have heard of before?  I think a lot of the current Tonight
Show viewers would not follow it to the wilds of obscure digital
cable.  Even 38 and 56 are channels many people don't watch with any
regularity.