WHDH blows off Leno - Why not both News and Leno using sub-channels

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Apr 3 19:14:58 EDT 2009

Jim Hall wrote:
> Can a station broadcast two HD channels simultaneously? WHDH News is in HD,
> and undoubtedly a network prime show will be in HD too.

The answer is, "yes, but."

While a few stations, mostly in smaller markets, are cramming two HD
streams into one DTV channel, there are serious picture-quality
compromises involved, because so much compression is needed.

I suspect the question would be more likely to come up if Hearst were to
put NBC on WMUR, which would probably lead to WCVB becoming a subchannel
on WMUR-DT and vice versa.