Radio soap opera theme music

thomas heathwood heritageradio@msn.com
Fri Apr 3 01:16:43 EDT 2009

Dan - Your question regarding the soap opera theme:  The program was called The Romance of Helen Trent,  whose heroine was sometimes called
"The Queen of the Soaps" - On the air for 27years - 7,222 chapters (episodes).  It starred Julie Stevens in the title role for the majority of the show. The theme song, Juanita"  was hummed and played on the guitar by Stanley Davis.  "And now.....The Romance of Helen Trent - the real-life drama of Helen Trent - who, when life mocks her, dashes her against the rocks of despair - fights back bravely, successfully to prove what so many women long to prove in their own lives....that because a woman is 35 and more, romance in life need not be over....that the romance of youth can extend into middle age...and even beyond" The program was on the air regionally from July 24, 1933 , then to CBS on October 30, 1933 all the way through June 24, 1960.  Helen Trent was among many radio soaps that have been good sellers in my catalo since the 1970's.
The Bob & Ray original WHDH shows were "rescued" by me 20 years ago at the old WHDH AM transmitter (in a basement "vault").
Tom Heathwood
  <<From: Dan.Strassberg<mailto:dan.strassberg@att.net>
  Subject: Radio soap opera theme music

  In a post yesterday, I mentioned that the theme music of one daytime
  radio soap of the '40s was not played by an origanist but by a
  guitarist who also sang the lyrics. I cited the song as Neet-ah,
  Jua-ha-ha, Neet-ah but I had no clue about which program might have
  used this song as its theme. I wonder whether it might have been "Just
  Plain Bill (Barber of Hartville)." But thinking it over, there may
  have been more than one daytime soap that used a guitarist to play its
  theme music. ISTR a program whose theme was Polly Wally Doodle, also
  played on a guitar (but without a vocal, IIRC). Maybe THAT was the
  Just Plain Bill theme. And if it was, what program used Neet-ah?
  Anyone have any clues? Tom Heathwood?

  All this is bringing to mind Bob and Ray's wonderful parodies of
  daytime soaps. The most famous of them, Mary Backstage, Noble Wife,
  may have run as long as the "real" program, Mary Noble, Backstage
  Wife, (and I'd wager is remembered by more people than is the real
  program). But there were others, such as Mr Trace, Keener than Most
  Persons, a takeoff on the nighttime show, Mr Keane, Tracer of Lost
  Persons. Bob and Ray may also have done Mr Agony, a takeoff on the
  always tearful personal-advice program, Mr Anthony. I have heard an
  actual clip from Mr Anthony on Danny Stiles classic records show,
  which appears on erratic schedule, overnights on WRCA 1330>>
  (Watertown).