AM-band HD Radio bit rate

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Apr 2 10:16:16 EDT 2009

Not counting subsidiary services (for example, whatever you call the
DAB equivalent of RDS), how many bits per second do they squeeze into
the AM-band HD Radio datastream? Is it 32 kbps? At the moment, I am
listening to what is reported as a 32-kbps Web stream from WHAT (AM)
Philadelphia. The content consists of adult standards music and
occasional voicetracked voice. I can't imagine anyone having any
complaints about the audio quality of what I am listening to with this
(rather mundane) content. In other words, 32 kbps through what I'm
assuming is a lossy CODEC seems just fine for routine suff such as
Frank Sinatra backed by Nelson Riddle (at least as good as the best
I've heard recently on AM) but would it cut it for classical music or
something else intended for an audio connoisseur?

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367