when analog TV ends

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Sep 25 23:46:59 EDT 2008

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> My son asked me a question and I really don't know for sure what the answer is.
>
> When analog TV ends next February does the DT part of the callsign
> revert to TV or does that designation end with the changover?
>
> In other words does WCVB-DT then revert back to WCVB-TV?

According to the FCC database, WCVB-DT *is* WCVB-TV.

The FCC has never considered DTV licenses as separate licenses from
their analog parents - so the license held under facility ID 65684,
holding the callsign WCVB-TV, has both analog authorization on channel 5
and digital authorization on channel 20.

Confusing? Ayuh.