(K)KHJ

Doug Broda dbroda@nycap.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 16:30:20 EDT 2008

While I think you're describing the events by which KKHJ returned to KHJ
in 2000 correctly, having heard the same thing at the time from multiple
sources, three other stations have also reclaimed their three letter
calls, per http://earlyradiohistory.us/3roll.htm - as follows:

WGH Newport News VA changed to WCMS in 12/04, then returned to WGH in
7/05. (And in fact that's the SECOND time they changed the calls back to
WGH... having been WNSY from 9/83 to 12/84.)

Also, WIL St. Louis changed to WRTH in 1990, but returned to WIL in 2005
(thereafter becoming KZQZ earlier this year).

And KSD St. Louis became KUSA in 1984, returning to KSD in 1993
(thereafter becoming KTRS in 1997).

The only thing I can see as a possible distinguishing factor is that in
each of these cases, the three letter calls were still on a co-owned FM
at the time they were returned to the AM. Does that make it OK under FCC
rules?