Uncle Dale's replacement...

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Fri Sep 19 21:21:13 EDT 2008

Radioandrecords.com has a different take on this move.  Their article
calls Lobel a "guest host" so this may not be a permanent thing.  In
fact, the Herald article says Lobel will be "on all fall,"  whatever
that means.  My question is, did they bring him in to talk sports,
particularly with the Sox prepping for the playoffs and of course the
Pats, to sort of bridge the gap between the beginning of the fall
book and the start of the all Christmas music season?  Or, is this
part of a larger move to eventually go all sports.  It seems to me
this flip may happen later rather than sooner.  If they were going to
pull the switch right away, why would they name Karen Blake to
mornings as well?  I doubt she would be kept on through a format change.

I find it odd that CBS could be considering blowing up oldies/classic
hits, since their sister stations in the format, WOGL/Philadelphia
and  WCBS-FM/New York seem to be thriving with the PPM.  Maybe the
idea of putting all-sports on FM to compete with WEEI seems like a
more lucrative choice than sticking with classic hits.

As far as moving WBZ to FM, that one may take awhile.  I'm sure that
CBS wants to see how WBCN and WZLX do in the PPM before deciding what
to do with 1030.  If either FM tanks, I could see WBZ's programming
shifting to FM, but that won't be determined until PPM is up and
running for awhile, which will be a couple of years down the road.

-Dave