Metro Networks Cuts In Boston

Brian Vita brian@sundaynightchill.com
Tue Sep 16 21:52:17 EDT 2008

Its funny that you should mention that.  I've been doing the tech work at
WMWM for the last few years.  About two months ago while cruising the web I
found a program for the deaf that will download the current NOAA weather and
vocalize it.  One of the options is to save the output to an MP3 file.
Having a bizarre humor streak, I did a little massaging of the output and
tied it into the station's automation.  The result is our new WMWM Robo
Weather Center.

A little tweaking of the setup files gave me phrases such as "The
temperature outside the WMWM studios is" and "The WMWM Robo weather forecast
for Salem is".  The program is set to update from NOAA every 10 minutes and
write it to an MP3 file called "weather.mp3".  Every hour, just after the
ID, the automation looks in a specific location for a file named
"weather.mp3" and plays it.  Low tech but it works.

My thought was that the students would listen to it, be slightly amused and
then give me the nod to take it off.  The result was quite the opposite.
They loved it.  One of the student e-board members noted that the robo voice
actually sounded concerned when reading about thunderstorms potentially
containing embedded hail.  I told him that the next version will throw in an
"oh sh*t" when it sees something bad coming <g>. Now they're trying to get
me to automate traffic reports (parking at the college).

MoodSwings & Sunday Night Chill
The Jazz fix for your Sunday

Brian Vita
Jazz Coordinator
Sunday Night Chill Remote Studio
c/o CSS Inc ,77 Walnut St – Ste 4
Peabody, MA  01960-5691
Ofc (978)538-7575/Studio (978)817-0013
Brian@SundayNightChill.com
www.wmwmjazz.com

Playing the best and only Jazz on the North Shore