How much $$ will TV stations save when they turn off the analog transmitters in Feb ?

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Sun Sep 7 19:23:07 EDT 2008

At 06:29 PM 9/7/2008, Ken VanTassell wrote:

>Just curious, does anyone know what the average monthly electric bill
>is for a TV station in Boston ? How much will they save when they turn
>off the analog transmitter ?
>Will the savings be eaten up by upping the digital power output as I
>understand some stations will do ?

First of all, most stations are not running their digital signal at
reduced power.  A few did when they first came on, but since nearly
all TVs sold in the past few years are digital/HDTV sets, it would be
ridiculous for any station to want to run reduced power.  Much of
what you have heard about this is simply an urban legend.

As for how much power will be saved, I really don't have any idea of
what is the number.  What I can say is the stations that will save
the most will be those that remain on VHF, since VHF requires much
less power than UHF.  At this point, nearly all stations (there are
exceptions) have their digital signal on a UHF channel, those
transmitters use a tremendous amount of power. (Again, don't ask me
for a number!)   A solid state VHF digital transmitter uses a lot
less power by comparison.

However, this all is a very small amount of the total budget to
operate a TV station, I don't think you'll be seeing any stations
turn off their analog signal early to save on the power bill.

Larry Weil
WHDH/WLVI Master Control
Lake Wobegone, NH